Transferring the ownership of property
To change the name on your Record of Title, you will need to submit to Land Information New Zealand (“LINZ”) the following documents
- a Transfer instrument
- a Notification of Change (“NoC”)
- a Land Transfer Tax Statement (“LTTS”)
These process are normally completed by a solicitor through the Landonline system. Once LINZ has received your NoC, LINZ then will notify the relevant councils for the change of ownership of your property. This is important because property owners are required to notify the council of any changes to ownership or name under the section 31 or 36 of the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002.
If you have a mortgage on your property, you need to talk to your lender to see if they will agree to this ownership change. Most lenders will require the new owners to get a new mortgage in their own name.
Everyday, we receive a lot of questions from our clients in relation to transferring the ownership of property. Most of common questions we receive are :
Can I transfer my property to another person? How do I change ownership of a house NZ? Do I need a solicitor to transfer ownership of a property? How do you change ownership of a house? How do I transfer property to a family member? How do I transfer property to my wife? Can I gift my property to a family member? Can you remove your name from a mortgage? Can you gift a house NZ? How long does it take to transfer ownership of a property? How much does it cost to change title records NZ? How long does it take to transfer property ownership? How do you transfer a house in case of death? How do I transfer my property to legal heirs? What is the process to change property name transfer? Can I transfer my property to my husband? Is it better to gift or inherit property? Can I give my house to my son? Can I make my son joint owner of my house? Do you need a solicitor to change name on deeds? Do I need a solicitor to transfer ownership of a property? Do I need probate to transfer a house? How do you buy someone out of a house? How do I remove a joint owner from my property? How do you take over someone’s mortgage?
To get an anwer you can simply click the button below and submit your information to us. You will receive our instant no obligation fee quotation.
Please read the important information contained in the following:
- We note that our estimated fixed fee does not include any cost of negotiations/disputes with other parties and we reserve our right to charge any cost incurred for our extra attendances at our discretion. The cost of extra attendances will be charged on the basis of our time records.
- Terms of engagement.
- Our quote is subject to change at any time. If you wish to validate this quote for 3 months you must register the quote to our Honour system. You can simply click “Register” button after completing this form or call us on 0800 000 608.
- We note that our estimated fee may be changed if the actual information is different to what you have provided to us. Our final fee will be confirmed once we obtain a full information from all associated parties.
- In providing the Services we may incur disbursements and payments to third parties on your behalf. You authorise us to incur these disbursements (which may include such items such as search fees, court filing fees, registration fees and travel and courier charges) which are reasonably necessary to provide the Services. You also authorise us to make payments to third parties on your behalf which are reasonably required to undertake the Services (which may include items such as experts costs or counsels fees). These will be included in our invoice to you, shown as disbursements when the expenses are incurred (or in advance when we know we will be incurring them on your behalf).
- In addition to disbursements, we may charge a minimum fee of $35 or 3% of our invoice (whichever is higher) to cover out of pocket costs which are not included in our fee and which are not recorded as disbursements. These include items such as AML/CFT verificiation processing fees, photocopying and printing, postage and phone calls.
- Due to the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering of Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML/CFT) and other related legislation, as of 1 July 2018, we are obligated to obtain and keep records of information from you (as our client) for matters we work on such as your identity, address, beneficial ownership of real and personal properties and source of funds. We thank you for your cooperation in advance.
- We require you to arrange the payment for our prepaid legal services in advance either by credit card* or direct debit to our solicitor’s trust account. We accept Visa and Mastercard. *For all credit card payments, there will be 2.88% transaction fees applied on top of our total legal service fees.
Our change of property ownership services cover the followings:
- transferring ownership of property from parent to child NZ
- transferring of home ownership to spouse
- transferring a house from husband to wife
- transferring assets upon separation
- add or remove a name to a property title in New Zealand
- gifting your property to a family member
- transferring a house to your Family Trust
- exchanging a house with the other person
- property sharing
- vesting to the Beneficiaries of your Family Trust
- transferring ownership of property to your company
- transferring ownership of property from your company
- transmission (Joint Tenancy, Estate Administration, Will)
- vesting to the Beneficiaries of the Will (from an Executor or an Administrator)
- changing / correction names on the title